Becoming a Marketing Consultant: My Journey

An aspiring marketing consultant recently reached out to me with some questions about how to get started in the field. Below is a revised version of my email responses to her. It should give you a good idea of how I got started and hopefully some useful tips.

B

***

Q: Where did you find your very first clients?


A: I reached out to a business owner I knew from my corporate career and offered my services for a project.


Q: How much time do you devote to your own marketing?


A: About 30% of my time is spent on marketing activities like updating my website and social media. I also allocate roughly 10% of my budget to marketing efforts.


Q: What are the biggest mistakes you've made?


A: Rather than one major blunder, it's been a series of smaller mistakes. For instance, appearing bored in a client meeting or inadvertently mentioning a competitor's name. A key takeaway is the importance of avoiding lengthy proposals; concise emails outlining collaboration options are often more effective.


Q: Is it better to work as an independent contractor when starting or to register a business straight away (tax-wise)?


A: From a tax perspective, starting as an independent contractor is generally more advantageous.


Q: What software do you use to manage invoices and taxes?


A: I utilise Xero for managing invoices and tax-related tasks.


Q: What aspects of your business did you DIY, and where did you get professional help when you launched?


A: I collaborated with a web developer on the basic website structure, which I later customised. My wife, a graphic designer, created my logo, which I fleshed out over time with additional colours, images, and shapes.


Q: How do you set up your contracts to ensure you get paid on time and aren't dropped without warning?


A: I typically invoice upfront and maintain a gentleman's agreement with clients for a month's notice period.


Q: How do you set up your vetting process to ensure you don't waste time on companies that can't afford you?


A: I ask probing questions on my website and maintain a degree of distance in initial meetings. This approach helps filter out clients who aren't a good fit.


Q: How did you calculate your rates when starting?


A: I relied on my gut feeling and intuition. I avoid hourly billing and prefer project-based fees or monthly retainers.


Q: Did you do any work for free to show proof of concept and build a client portfolio?


A: While I offer free initial consultations and strive to provide value during these meetings, I generally don't offer free work beyond that.


Q: Any advice you can give me?


A: Building a successful business takes time and persistence. Remember that the journey is just as important as the destination. Enjoy the process!


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on running a marketing strategy workshop

Stop paddling - your startup needs a wave

What's your sales recipe?